Classes of hosting services
A hosting service is connected with depositing and/or sharing specific web content on a server administered by a web hosting distributor. There are different kinds of hosting services used for various goals, so let's explore these. In that way, you can elect what you want, depending on whether you desire to own a site, mails, or to share files with buddies and acquaintances.
- File hosting: a service distributed by given web hosts, which enables you to share bulky files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archived files, and so on. This service is also known as file storage, and its sole function is to share files, since it does not support web site uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either obtain a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to examine a list of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to see .html or .php web files in your web browser. Free file storage plans often involve ads by the download links, while a timer makes you wait for a particular period of time to view them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you have a paid file storage account, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download right away, and also there is no limitation with regard to the download speed or the file size.
Now, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting corporations, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more trendy "cloud hosting". This is a completely wrong interpretation of the actual connotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting system would allot the workload between separate bunches of web hosting servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to serving different webspace hosting services (email, web space, stats, DNS, databases, site hosting Control Panel, etc.) So, the file hosting solution is merely a type of a disk space hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: comparable with file hosting; certain vendors provide a hosting service for images only. This hosting type is appropriate if you want to share an immense number of pictures with pals or colleagues since the solution is mostly free of cost. You will obtain a randomly generated link for every image or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be used for web sites.
- E-mail hosting: a solution committed to administering your email aliases. Some firms offer web site hosting solutions for web sites, but do not provide an e-mail hosting solution. If you desire to create an e-mail address with your domain name but do not wish to keep a site, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you want. You can open mail address accounts and manage them, but there will be no web service for the domains. The e-mail hosting service includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP mail servers.
- Video hosting: this service permits you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to some video file, or you can embed the video file in your site that is hosted elsewhere. The benefit of using this method in lieu of uploading the video file in a web hosting account is that the video clip produces a given amount of CPU load, so with several videos and a few hundred web page visitors, you may have trouble with your web space hosting supplies. Embedding the video clip will permit you to own as many video files as you want to without bothering about system quotas.
- Web hosting: this is the service that you require if you desire to run a site. To some degree, it incorporates all of the aforesaid hosting brands since, along with your web pages, you can also host images and files, you can run databases and mailbox accounts, upload video clips, etc. At Web Hosting Giants, for example, you can take a peek at web hosting and dedicated server hosting packages that permit you to have all of the aforesaid services in one place. There may be limitations depending on the kind of hosting solution that you've chosen - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your hosting package may be better or worse in comparison with the routine e-mail/file/video/image hosting plans that are devised for specific web content only.